I am so excited to show you what we have been doing for the past three weeks! You remember when my kitchen used to look like this?
Well, it doesn’t anymore.
This was one of the projects I had been really dreading because I thought it would end up really expensive. However, it actually ended up being pretty reasonable thanks to some craigslisting, re-storing (the act of going to the restore), and slate tile. Some of the most exciting changes:
-painting the cabinets. While I thought this would be a horrible job, it actually didnt take very long at all. I took the doors off and spray painted them in the garage while John rollered the drawer fronts and remaining frames. Now I am starting to think maybe they need pulls?
-the open shelves. While we replaced cabinets with open shelves, we kept most of the cabinets resulting in a net gain of kitchen storage. The shelves are reclaimed cedar that we found on craigslist for about $100. Yes, the storage has to be pretty now, but so far that has been ok. I just need to remind myself that I don’t have to display ALL of my pretty dishes. The shelves also mean we have enough cabinet space to put in a dishwasher.
– The countertops. I found pretty countertops to be super expensive. We followed this tutorial, and it worked really well. Also they came in at $100.00 after a quick trip to the restore, and you really can’t tell they were ever doors.
John thought it was SUPER FUN when I went out and bought paint for the bedroom before the paint on the cabinets was dry. Looking forward to showing off how that turned out….but more than that I am looking forward to being able to blog about my garden again. Last year I had plants growing outside by this time.
My sister in law linked me to this online permaculture course and I am so excited to get started tonight, will let you know how it is.